Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Monday, December 7, 2015

Setting Realistic Career Goals

Not everyone is able to become President of the United States, though that is a common dream that is set for many children, at a young age. Not nearly as many that have the dream of becoming a doctor will end up pursuing, or achieving it. We are taught to be ambitious, but does that work for us, or against us?  It works against us, as the goals we set are too high and potentially unattainable.

As a child, I always wanted to pursue a career involving space in some way or shape. Whether it would be by becoming an astronaut, or have some position at NASA, or even as an astronomer, I wanted space to be the focus of my future. I read piles of books related to celestial bodies, and other concepts out of my total comprehension at such a young age, but I was determined to achieve this goal. My dreams, however, were shattered when I realized that, though I could perform math relatively well, I would not be able to aim for the levels in which such careers wanted of me. It did not help that Physics was not my favorite subject either. Unfortunately, these two subjects are hard requirements for this line of work.

                                         
(n.d.). Retrieved December 8, 2015, from http://www.forensicmag.com/sites/forensicmag.com/files/Four_Steps_Establishing_Realistic_Career_Goals_sm.jpg

When it came time for me to set my life on a career track, I rather looked at what I enjoyed doing most out of my day, which was working with computers. I figured that this would be something I could adapt to doing, as I had no prior coding experience. It ended up being something I enjoyed and could comprehend. In the end, did having a goal literally set in the stars hurt me as a person? No, but it did stall my time in which I could have spent learning items that would become more relevant in my future career.

                                     
(n.d.). Retrieved December 8, 2015, from https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj2sN1Cm2wR4JSUg3ZPYFnPanFFOhJ9ynIog6wnV0IWrw_XMRsspx3UN6a4HJZId-yvtoli3ypI-ATdsSxGJ6zRfMWcFJTYn5i8mKJYZkKrkuldqpOeY9e5KpuUADeVEX9nLylttZQMlGI/s200/careergoals.jpg

When setting a career goal, there are many essentials that will help you choose a lien of work that is right for you. One is to find something you enjoy, while also challenging you. (Set Ambitious Career Goals) Easy work is one thing, and can pay the bills, but the routine and monotony of it can melt your brain and thinking ability. Something else important is being able to determine what exactly you want out of a career. Is to make money, see the world, move far away, etc. ? (Set Realistic Career Goals) Lastly is the ability to set goals that you can achieve that will help you in working towards your goal. (Set Realistic Career Goals) These are the steps that I have been taking, which in turn have put me on track to achieving a future career in the field of Computer Science.




How to Set Ambitious Career Goals You Can Realistically Accomplish. (n.d.). Retrieved December 8, 2015, from https://www.themuse.com/advice/how-to-set-ambitious-career-goals-you-can-realistically-accomplish

How to Set Realistic Career Goals. (n.d.). Retrieved December 8, 2015, from http://everydaylife.globalpost.com/set-realistic-career-goals-30597.html

No comments:

Post a Comment